Volunteers are needed throughout University Settlement's programs to help us fulfill our mission, touching the lives of more than 25,000 participants every year. There are many different ways that you can help, whether you have only a few hours to spare or can make a longer-term commitment to ongoing work. Here are just some of the many volunteer opportunities currently available; we are always open to your ideas and suggestions.
Currently, our Max Meltzer Center for older adults is in need of several volunteers - please visit our Volunteer posting, or contact Nilda Casiano at 212-253-5624 or at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
Additional volunteer opportunities include:
- Nurture young children: Work with pre-schoolers in our Early Childhood Center, acting as an assistant in one of our nine vibrant classrooms for children ages 2 1/2 to 5.
- Tutor: Engage one-on-one with elementary-age children in our after-school programs, assisting with homework and helping to build fundamental reading, writing and math skills.
- Teach a workshop: Share your knowledge and passion by leading or assisting in a workshop for children, teens or adults. These could include an arts class, a personal finance workshop, a health and wellness seminar, or any other areas of interest.
- Special events: Help out at a community holiday party; serve Thanksgiving dinner at our Senior Center; lend a hand with fundraising events; engage in a work project at our rural Beacon Campus. Even just a few hours or a day of your time can make a real difference.
- Groups: Activities can be arranged for corporate or private groups, ranging form one-day events to ongoing relationships. Let us know what your needs are and we will work with you to develop a mutually beneficial project.
- Advocacy: University Settlement, through the efforts of Project Home, advocates on housing and other related issues. Please call (212) 505-1995 if you would like to participate in letter writing, organizing or other advocacy initiatives.
For information about becoming a University Settlement volunteer, please call (212) 453-0257.
For corporate group volunteer opportunities, please contact Christie Correa at email@example.com or at (212) 453-0213.