back to employment listing
Counselor per diem (Bilingual English/Chinese)
Supervisor: Senior Program Director / Adult programs
Overview: University Settlement's flexible multi-tiered Mental Health Initiative will address the current mental health needs of older adults. Through the multi-tiered, multi-directional approach, the Settlement seeks to increase awareness, provide psychoeducation, mental health counseling and support groups for older adults who walk through University Settlement's doors at various points of entry. The initiative will also provide referrals to the Settlement's fully-licensed Article 31 Mental Health Clinic. The unique approach means fewer steps for older adults to access all the supportive mental health services they need, with trained staff supporting and guiding them along the way in a flexible, non-traditional setting.
- Introduce older adults to light touch mental health psychoeducation presentations and activities by offering monthly special events focusing on mental and emotional health open to all seniors and aimed towards positive social participation and positive mental health
- Coordinate special outreach efforts, including home visits, to engage individuals identified as needing mental health support through screening assessments
- Initiate follow up with identified individuals to ensure that they are connected to resources.
- Work with older adults through closed group work and theme-based groups aimed at reducing mental health related symptoms in older adults and increase their coping strategies for dealing with mental health issues
- Provide scheduled, on site, individual mental health counseling services in a community based setting, working from a client-centered approach to support emotional wellbeing, improve functioning and ensure the client is connected to a support network in the community.
- In conjunction with clinical supervisor monitor clients who may more vulnerable; create closer monitoring and/or safety plans when appropriate.
- Guide participants through the intake and assessment process at the University Settlement Mental Health Clinic, working in collaboration with Program and Mental Health Clinic staff, work to transition and engage participants into treatment planning and clinical supports to address mental health needs.
- Work with the Program Assistant in gathering and analyzing data for reporting
- Perform other tasks consistent with this job description as assigned by the Supervisor
- MSW, LMSW, LCSW, LMHC, Master of Psychology
- One to two years of post master clinical experience in a mental health setting
- Bi-lingual English / Cantonese required
- Prior experience working with older adults preferred
- Knowledgeable of mental health resources in Lower Manhattan
Hours: Flexible but consistent hours per week
Salary: $30 - $35 / hr
Contact: Submit cover letter and resume to the link below. No telephone or email inquiries.
back to employment listing