back to employment listing
Supervisor: Marketing and Communications Manager
Overview: University Settlement is one of New York City's most dynamic social justice institutions, with an impressive legacy as the first settlement house in the nation. For 130 years, University Settlement has been an anchor in the low-income and immigrant communities where we work, offering pioneering programs in early childhood care and education, youth development, eviction prevention, literacy, theater and visual arts, senior services, and mental health. Each year, we engage over 40,000 New Yorkers through our network of 31 sites in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Our mission is to empower the individuals we serve through comprehensive, quality services that strengthen families and meet the current needs of the community.
The Communications Associate is an essential member of a dynamic team managing all external affairs and donor relations for University Settlement and its partner agencies, including The Door, Broome Street Academy). Responsible for managing all online communications for the agencies, including websites, e-communications and social media, the ideal candidate will have a clear and demonstrated passion for communicating and strategizing in the online space. The Communications Associate will also play an active role in designing and implementing various campaigns and marketing initiatives in support of the agency's brand-building and fundraising goals.
- Online Communications Strategy: Develop and implement an ongoing – as well as campaign-specific – online communications strategy for all agencies with the goal of strengthening brand recognition and enhancing engagement with supporters. This includes, but is not limited to: building on existing assets (websites, social media sites, etc.); managing ongoing online communications calendar (e-appeals, e-newsletters, social media posts, etc.); as well as tracking and analyzing response and adjusting the plan accordingly for each agency. Proactively identify and suggest new opportunities for using the online space based on awareness of best practices in the online fundraising and marketing fields.
- Online Content Creation and Management: Maintain primary responsibility for oversight and quality control of all online content, including agency websites, social media posts and any other electronic communications. This includes writing and designing thought-provoking, engaging, key message-driven content that is responsive to the needs of a variety of constituents, with supervision and support from the Assistant Director of Marketing and Communications. Manage online donation functionality for all organizations with assistance from the Coordinator of Special Events and Individual Giving and the Development Assistant.
- Marketing/Branding: Assist with the management of brand standards, the development of organizational messaging, and the creation, writing and production of printed and electronic materials, including but not limited to: brochures, annual reports, invitations and collateral for special events and initiatives for all agencies.
- Other: Manage the Communications Intern, including recruiting, hiring and overseeing assignments; assist the Director of Development and Assistant Director of Communications and Marketing on special projects as assigned.
- 2-3 years experience, preferably in online communications/marketing/public relations/fundraising
- BA/BS degree from an accredited institution required
- Excellent communication, writing, and editing skills
- Demonstrated awareness and sensibility for print and web-based communications and marketing
- Proven expertise in social media platforms, including Facebook and Twitter, and demonstrated understanding of how to utilize for the purpose of expanding nonprofit brand awareness.
- Proven understanding of web design, including familiarity with content management systems like Drupal, Dreamweaver,WordPress, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practices, current trends and new developments in non-profit online fundraising and social media marketing; ongoing involvement in professional development in these areas.
- Ability to manage projects, and work efficiently and quickly on diverse assignments
- Ability to work independently, but also as an effective member of a team
- Graphic design skills, including current knowledge of InDesign and Photoshop, a plus
- Knowledge of one or more foreign languages a plus
Hours: Full-time, 35 hours per week
Salary: Mid 40s, plus generous benefits
Contact: Submit cover letter, resume, and writing samples.
Kindly provide medium and short writing samples (journalistically styled piece: op-ed, press release that tells a story, college newspaper)
back to employment listing