back to employment listing
Marketing and Communications Manager
Overview: University Settlement is one of New York City's most dynamic social justice institutions, with an impressive legacy as the first settlement house in the nation. For 130 years, University Settlement has been an anchor in the low-income and immigrant communities where we work, offering pioneering programs in early childhood care and education, youth development, eviction prevention, literacy, theater and visual arts, senior services, and mental health. Each year, we engage over 40,000 New Yorkers through our network of 32 sites in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Our mission is to empower residents by building on their strengths through comprehensive, quality services that meet the current needs of the community; innovation that anticipates future needs; and advocacy to improve the community as a whole.
The Door is an unparalleled model for youth development, offering a comprehensive range of integrated services within a single site for nearly 11,000 New York City youth each year. Our mission is to empower young adults to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof. By providing participants with our suite of integrated services, we seek to provide any motivated young person with the tools, resources, and opportunities needed to successfully transition to adulthood.
In partnership with and co-located at The Door, Broome Street Academy is a unique charter high school that prepares New York City's most vulnerable youth for a successful future through rigorous academics paired with supports of The Door. Broome Street Academy serves 330 students annually in grades 9 – 12.
Position Summary: If you want an opportunity to impact the lives of over 40,000 New Yorkers every year, look no further. You're the kind of person we need to help lead our fast-paced, energetic, and committed team.
You're best in class with demonstrated skills in social, digital, and media relations developed over of 5+ years of full-time experience.
We're looking for someone who's a doer with superb writing skills, thrives in a rapidly changing, team-based environment, and skillfully juggles many competing priorities while working effectively under deadline. You think strategically, take the initiative, enjoy managing and inspiring your colleagues, and are a proven manager of complex projects.
This is a pivotal role on a three-person team that supports University Settlement, The Door, and Broome Street Academy. We work hard, move fast, and never know what today will bring while making sure to have fun. And don't forget the great benefits.
- You're the project manager for all communications activities. You dive in and execute daily responsibilities and long-term projects. You're committed to meeting deadlines and developing high quality content while working with numerous internal departments.
- Use your strategic skills to create a marketing calendar that communicates our thought leadership and program excellence while appealing to major donors, the media, and funders.
- Manage and execute social media, traditional, and multimedia communications. Create compelling content, track key metrics, and provide insights for improved performance. This includes blogs, profiles, testimonials, collateral, photography, videos and more.
- Oversee website content development, updates, maintenance, and analytics.
- Manage the day-to-day production of email campaigns from start to end including creative, design, implementation, testing, and monitoring. Craft initiatives to steadily increase active email subscribers (lead generation). Build reports to analyze email performance and to uncover insights to guide new strategies.
- Become the in-house social media guru. You know the latest social media trends and how to use them to increase the visibility of our organizations and spokespeople, attract influencers, grow our audience and increase engagement. You're in charge of aesthetic, content planning, production, and posting to meet our strategic goals. This includes maintaining a posting calendar, tracking key metrics, and identifying high-impact opportunities.
- Own the role of brand maven, responsible for ensuring brand consistency of message, tone, and design across all communications.
- Write and design major corporate communications including annual reports, speeches, briefs, white papers, op-eds, and PowerPoint presentations.
- Support the Events and Development teams as a writer and creator of communications materials, including appeals.
- Assist in managing media relations, in coordination with the Managing Director, Marketing and Communications.
- Manage the Communications Assistant/Associate and oversee their professional development. Management includes working with the assistant/associate on social media and website content and maintenance.
- 5+ years of experience in communications, marketing, or public relations.
- BA/BS degree from an accredited institution required.
- Always on top of the latest trends and tactics in marketing and communications in the nonprofit and for-profit worlds. Creatively incorporates this knowledge into tactics and projects to reach strategic goals.
- Effective project manager on complex projects. Proven ability to meet aggressive deadlines while producing high quality deliverables.
- Attention to detail and outstanding proofing skills are a must.
- Innovative thinker who can translate strategy into action plans. Experience developing and executing strategic plans for programs, campaigns, and to advance an organization's mission and goals
- Extensive experience (minimum 4 years) writing and editing impactful print, digital, and social media copy with a distinctive, clever, and sophisticated writing style. Track record producing printed collateral, including marketing literature, annual reports, brochures, appeals, newsletters etc. A plus if you have nonprofit experience.
- Excels when working independently, and as an effective leader or member of a team. Able to take the initiative.
- Track record of working effectively, efficiently, quickly, and accurately on competing, diverse assignments, all at the same time. Excellent problem-solving and negotiation skills.
- Self-reliant, results-oriented problem solver.
- Excellent and persuasive communicator.
- Exceptional written, oral, and presentation skills. Ability to effectively interface with a variety of audiences, including participants, supporters, staff, senior management, the media, and the general public
- Very high level of competency in Online Xpress or other email platform, InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel, and Publisher), HTML and WordPress.
- Knowledge of one or more foreign languages a plus
- Required submissions: resume, cover letter, and 2 writing samples of communications materials such as blogs, op-eds, press releases, emails, or social media content.
Salary: Commensurate with experience, plus generous benefits.S
Contact: Required submissions: resume, cover letter, and 2 writing samples of communications materials such as blogs, op-eds, press releases, emails, or social media content. : APPLY
back to employment listing