back to employment listing
Marketing and Communications Manager
Working in a shared service environment, the Marketing and Communications Manager will work with The Door, Broome Street Academy, and University Settlement, three independent 501c3 organizations that share leadership and administrative/back office functions. University Settlement (www.universitysettlement.org), The Door (www.door.org), and Broome Street Academy (www.broomestreetacademy.org) are affiliated New York City nonprofits that tackle the complex issues surrounding poverty for over 50,000 New Yorkers each year.
We're looking for a resourceful problem-solver who thrives in a rapidly changing, team-based environment, and skillfully juggles many competing priorities while working effectively under deadline. You think strategically, take the initiative, enjoy collaborating with and inspiring your colleagues, and are a proven manager of complex projects. You're a strong writer and editor who's also skilled at making brands come to life visually.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Partner with the Managing Director of Communications & Marketing, create and execute an Editorial Calendar that strategically builds all three agencies' visibility, elevates our leaders' ideas and profiles, and engages key audiences, including donors and media
- Write, design, and produce major corporate communications material including annual reports, speeches, briefs, white papers, op-eds, and PowerPoint presentations
- Use Adobe Creative Cloud, particularly InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator, to create compelling traditional and multimedia branded communications that help people understand our agencies' amazing work
- Be the brand manager - maintain brand consistency across all communications
- Oversee social media accounts, creating effective strategies to increase our agencies' and spokespeople's visibility
- Manage email campaigns. Craft lead generation initiatives to steadily increase active email subscribers
- Measure and track audience growth and content performance, implementing dashboards and analytic reporting for our websites, social media accounts, and email marketing
- Keep up to date on the latest developments in technology and best practice for communications
- Support the Events and Development teams, including by writing and designing appeals to donors and invitations.
- Assist with media outreach, including by thinking through strategy and creating talking points.
- Manage the Communications Associate and oversee their professional development, partnering with them to develop content for social media, email, and website marketing
- Have a strong commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion
What We Are Looking For:
- You have 5+ years of experience in communications, marketing, or public relations
- You have 4+ years of writing and editing impactful print, digital, and social media copy with a distinctive, clever, and sophisticated writing style. Track record producing printed collateral, including marketing literature, annual reports, brochures, appeals, newsletters, etc
- You are an effective project manager and have a track record of producing diverse projects on time, all the time
- High competency with Adobe Creative Cloud (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator), Online Express (or Mailchimp, or other email marketing platforms), social media platforms and tools (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and HootSuite), Microsoft Office, and WordPress required. Familiarity with HTML a plus.
- Innovative thinker who can translate strategy into action. Experience developing and executing strategic plans to advance an organization's mission and goals
- Persuasive communicator with good presentation skills. Able to effectively interact with a variety of audiences, including participants, supporters, staff, senior management, the media, and the general public.
- Intense attention to detail and outstanding editing skills. Typos are your enemy.
- You are technologically savvy with Microsoft Office, Online Xpress or other email platform, social media platforms, Adobe Creative Cloud, Microsoft Office, and WordPress.
- Excels when working independently, and as an effective leader or member of a team. Able to take initiative.
- You have a Bachelor's degree.
A plus if you are:
- Fluent in a language (or languages!) other than English
- Conversant in HTML
Salary: Commensurate with experience, plus generous benefits.
Submit cover letter and resume to APPLY
Required submissions: resume, cover letter, and 2 writing samples of communications materials such as blogs, op-eds, press releases, emails, or social media content AND a design sample.
back to employment listing