back to employment listing
Service Works Fellowship Program
Supervisor: Supervisor of Academic Support Services
Overview: Points of Light believes it's possible to build a network of volunteers that work to ensure all people have brighter futures. By engaging communities and equipping volunteers with quality career and educational resources, every young person can be prepared to succeed.
The Points of Light, ServiceWorks Fellowship program, in partnership with Citi Foundation, will equip talented leaders to transform opportunity youth, ages 16-24, by leveraging fellows to work to impact college and career readiness. Points of Light will partner with outstanding organizations in three key cities (Dallas, TX; New York City, NY; and Richmond, CA) to help young adults connect with college and career readiness programming throughout 2017-18.
The Points of Light ServiceWorks Fellowship is a part-time, paid leadership development program that places top-tier individuals in leadership roles within target communities with a college and career focus. Our SW Fellows will engage in critical work from inside schools and communities---helping them increase support in student achievement and academic development, as well as career development training. Further, our Fellows will research and use best practices from high quality, evidence-informed models to design service projects to address community needs and barriers to progress. The SW Fellowship provides hands-on, real-world experience as well as training in leadership skills and issues in community organizing. Our Fellows will gain the unique support and networking opportunities offered by Points of Light and our robust nationwide network of more than 200 affiliates.
Points of Light will work in selected cities to recruit and select the highest caliber of applicants - those who can apply entrepreneurial and leadership skills to addressing barriers in education and careers - because we want to develop dynamic programs that both effectively engage volunteers and support the initiatives that are driving the most impact in underserved communities.
High-Impact Work Experience
- Placement at a Points of Light partner site with a clearly defined scope of work
- Supervision by an experienced site leader
- Ongoing professional development training with Points of Light staff and other leaders
- Study of key topics and challenges to college and career readiness
- Training in the areas of: volunteer management, project management, service learning, and program development
- Interaction with diverse community members and leaders
- Networking opportunities during and after the Fellowship
- Access to a robust, nationwide network of service organizations
- Career coaching and connection to opportunities
Points of Light Continuing Education Programs
- Service Leader Certificate Program
- Volunteer Management Training Certificate Program
- Certificate in Community-Engaged Leadership (in partnership with The Staley School of Leadership Studies, Kansas State University)*
- At least one year of full-time professional work experience
- College or graduate degree or currently enrolled in undergrad or graduate degree program
- Authorization to work in the United States on a full-time basis for the entire program (international students/applicants eligible only if visa assistance is not required)
- Commitment to the full program term, including community meetings and other mandatory aspects of the Fellowship
- Experience in community service, education/academic programs, marketing, curriculum design, policy analysis, urban education, or volunteer management
- Ability to take initiative and drive results
- Ability to execute mission and values of Points of Light and partnering organizations/schools
- Ability to work well in diverse communities
- Ability to build partnerships
- Track record of success in academic and professional settings
- Exceptional written and communication skills
- Passion for working with opportunity youth
Hours: 25- 30 hours per week
Salary: $1,000 monthly stipend
Contact: Points of Light and The Door will review applications on a rolling basis and our admissions process will be highly selective. We strongly encourage candidates to apply online as early as possible. The last day to apply for priority round consideration is September 1st, 2017.
It is critical for ServiceWorks Fellows to reflect the communities they serve. Points of Light will work with our partner organizations and schools to actively recruit diverse candidates for our Fellowship program.
back to employment listing