back to employment listing
Group Leader- Manhattan
Supervisor: Site Manager
Overview: University Settlement is one of New York City's most dynamic social justice institutions, with an impressive legacy as the first settlement house in the nation. For 130 years, University Settlement has been an anchor in the low-income and immigrant communities where we work, offering pioneering programs in early childhood care and education, youth development, eviction prevention, literacy, theater and visual arts, senior services, and mental health. Each year, we engage over 40,000 New Yorkers through our network of 30 sites in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Our mission is to empower residents by building on their strengths through comprehensive, quality services that meet the current needs of the community; innovation that anticipates future needs; and advocacy to improve the community as a whole.
Since 1886, University Settlement has been providing a variety of effective and strengths-based community-based programs for children. The Settlement operates after-school programs for grades K-8th. The program will provide academic support; artistic, cultural, and athletic enrichment; therapeutic services; and opportunities for family involvement. The position requires a creative, energetic, team-building leader committed to providing the highest quality of programming for children and families.
- Create and lead engaging activities for up to 20 youth, ensuring the safety and comfort of students throughout the program
- Design and implement lesson plans for multidisciplinary activities using knowledge of positive youth development and incorporating student feedback throughout school year
- Ensure that academic assistance is provided during homework period
- Plan and involve children in a range of multidisciplinary activities, design and implement thematic based lessons
- Serve as a positive role model for youth and uphold professional behavior at all times
- Work constructively with co-counselor and other colleagues; communicate regularly with supervisory staff
- Communicate with parents and caregivers regarding student progress and problem-solving
- Maintain responsibility for designated program supplies and proper use of all facilities, including classrooms
- Complete all necessary documentation and administrative tasks
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor(s)
- HS Diploma or HSE required, current enrollment in college is a plus
- Experience working with middle and high school population
- Ability to commit for the entire school year
- Must be over 18 years old
- Highly energetic, dynamic, and positive
Contact: PLEASE UPLOAD RESUME, COVER LETTER, AND ALL ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS AS A PDF TO APPLY. No telephone inquiries.
back to employment listing