back to employment listing
Educational Specialist- PS 34M
Supervisor: Program Director
Overview: Since 1886, University Settlement has been providing a variety of effective and strengths-based community based programs for children. Currently, the Settlement operates after-school programs for elementary school children. We are expanding the program to accommodate middle school students, grades 6th-8th with the opening of additional after- school sites. The Educational Specialist will be responsible to help align program activities with recognized learning standards. The program will provide academic support; artistic, athletic, cultural, and athletic enrichment; therapeutic services; and opportunities for family involvement. The position requires a creative, energetic, team-building leader committed to providing the highest quality of programming for children and families.
- Act as a primary liaison between after-school staff and school- day staff to ensure the programs' alignment with school- day curriculum
- In conjunction with program director, develop and select curricula appropriate for the developmental needs of children in an after-school setting
- In conjunction with program director, develop and participate in high quality, relevant staff training
- Work in collaboration with the site coordinator to identify themes and objectives aligned to school curriculum
- Researches and coordinates the use of age appropriate, standards-based curriculum (e.g. thematic or project-based) to ensure participants are learning through a variety of fun and engaging activities;
- Facilitates staff development sessions with Group Leaders and Activity Specialists to review curriculum materials and ensure understanding of content;
- Assists the staff (Group Leaders and Activity Specialists) by providing educational resources and sharing best practices for successful implementation of selected curriculum;
- Periodically conducts activity observations, providing feedback to staff, and uses observation assessments to inform ongoing professional development topics
- Consults with school administration to identify and implement assessment methods to measure effectiveness of educational programs administered
- strengthen basic literacy and numeracy skills and stimulate the interest of children in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) subjects
- Other duties as assigned by the Director
- BA Degree in related field required; NYS Teaching License and Master's preferred.
- Experience in an administrative role in an after school program or another type of community-based program
- Strong interpersonal skills, problem solving ability, and crisis intervention skills
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and in presentation formats
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a collaborative management team
- Ability to think creatively, encourage enthusiasm, and develop outstanding programs.
- Strong comprehension of NYC Department of Education Learning Standards, including the Blueprint for Teaching and Learning in the Arts.
- Experience in curriculum planning, development and writing.
- Solid training and facilitation skills.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, verbal, and written communications skills and ability to work with staff of various skill-sets across disciplines.
Hours: 6.5 hours per week
Salary: $20.50 per hour
Contact: Please submit cover letter and resume to the link below:
back to employment listing