back to employment listing
Assistant Director, Campos Plaza
Supervisor: Program Director
Overview: University Settlement is one of New York City's most dynamic social justice institutions, with an impressive legacy as the first settlement house in the nation. For 130 years, University Settlement has been an anchor in the low-income and immigrant communities where we work, offering pioneering programs in early childhood care and education, youth development, eviction prevention, literacy, theater and visual arts, senior services, and mental health. Each year, we engage over 40,000 New Yorkers through our network of 32 sites in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Our mission is to empower residents by building on their strengths through comprehensive, quality services that meet the current needs of the community; innovation that anticipates future needs; and advocacy to improve the community as a whole.
The Settlement operates after-school programs for elementary school children at five sites. The Assistant Director will work with the Program Director to manage all aspects of program operations. The programs provide academic support; artistic, athletic, cultural, and athletic enrichment; therapeutic services; and opportunities for family involvement. The position requires a creative, energetic, team-building leader committed to providing the highest quality of programming for children and families, with particular knowledge and experience in the field of education.
- Work with Program Director to manage and operate all aspects of After-School programming.
- Supervise, monitor and coach direct service staff
- Work with the leadership team, including the Program Director and Site Coordinators, on activities designed to support the program's expansion
- Work with Site Coordinators to oversee day-to-day operations and maintain quality assurance
- Maintain effective working relationships with partner agencies and schools to facilitate quality programming
- Provide regular technical assistance, support, and supervision to assigned sites
- Work with the leadership team to develop, implement and coordinate trainings and professional development opportunities
- Maintain consistent communication with Program Director about all programmatic issues
- Monitor accuracy of attendance and data reporting, and maintenance of files
- In conjunction with management team, develop and select curricula appropriate for the developmental needs of children in an after-school setting
- In conjunction with the leadership team, ensure compliance with all funding sources and regulating agencies; prepare monthly reports of program information and data and other reports as needed
- Work collaboratively with Department of Education staff, parent association, and other CBOs; contribute to efforts to improve school achievement
- Ensure proper use of school facilities, and maintain effective communication with custodians, security, and cafeteria staff
- In conjunction with leadership team, maximize parent and family involvement in program through parent advisory board, family workshops and events, and volunteer recruitment
- Participate in advocacy efforts for after-school funding and other campaigns that affect the community
- Other duties as requested by supervisor
- Master's degree in Education preferred; Masters in Social Work, Counseling, or related field also acceptable. Bachelor's degree and three years additional relevant experience may substitute for a Master's.
- Experience in an administrative role in an after-school program or another type of community-based program
- Experience in curriculum development
- Strong supervisory skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, problem solving ability, and crisis intervention skills
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and in presentation formats
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a collaborative management team
- Ability to travel to multiple programs sites
Salary: Commensurate with experience, plus generous benefits
Hours: Full time
Contact: Submit cover letter and resume to APPLY
back to employment listing